Sunday, September 21, 2014

The continued saga of my last drive through Spring City


I drove down Main Street in Spring City remembering where I used to ride my bike as a child. I was surprised to see that many of the sidewalks are still brick ... (which were not fun on a bike). Philco plant is still there but now is something else. I always ice skated at the rink out at Spring City Elementary, but Spring City built a rink down near the river.  It was quite large, people were able to build fires, and families could spend the day or evening.  I don’t think the rink had lights making it undesirable for night time skating.  Of course being who I was, I also had to be careful as to who came down to the rink as I did not want to get into a fight with someone. 





 There was the Pumptown Bar, which used to be named something else, but regardless it was still there and business was still thriving, LOL and after I looked for a picture to go with this post, I realized why business was booming!!!  LOL I think I remember someone telling me about this, but I clearly forgot!  I went past the Clemens’ and Wilson’s homesteads.  I started down the hill towards Poplar Street and immediately Darlene Umstead DiCola came to mind as she lived at the corner of Popular and S&K streets.  I had to cross the small bridge under which the sewer flowed creating a creek.  The Creek - If Darlene reads this she will remember the creek.  Actually we pronounced it the crick - Crayfish hunting was a popular activity at the creek.  I found a frog once and took him home to be a pet.  I also took tadpoles home and watched them become frogs.  Many an hour was spent “down at the creek”.  Right next to the creek was the Lumber Yard, which was no longer a lumber yard.  At one time it was a thriving lumber yard.  The house that I lived in was actually a mansion, owned by the owners of the Lumber yard.  


I finally came upon my house.  It is now overgrown and looking much smaller than it did when I was growing up.  It almost looks like the house is sinking down in the front.  It is one of the oldest homes in Spring City.  The house was in poor condition - especially the side I lived in.  My aunt’s side looked much better than mine but still a bit run down.  I was surprised to see that the mailboxes my aunt put out front were still there.  She wanted the mailboxes to match,in fact the front of the house had to be matchey matchey.  I attempted to turn around on Chestnut Street and then pull in across the street from the house.  Of course as I was turning around, I did not look at the traffic around me very carefully and nearly had an accident.  (this would not have been cool) I tried taking a picture or two, and of course while I was snapping pictures, the home owners came home and looked at me with great suspicion.  I thought I probably should leave before I met the Spring City Police - though I suspect it would have been the most excitement in the town in weeks.  




It was time to head for home, and I needed to turn around.  I decided to turn around in Rosie Gappa’s weigh station.  She lived in a very small little house, which had been an office for the lumber yard.  The weigh station was for the coal trucks to pull up into and then weigh the coal.  I spent a lot of time at Rosie’s.  She was a wonderful person.  She did not have a lot but if she could, she shared.  Many summer nights she would sit out front of her house, and I would talk to her for hours.  I think I learned a lot about life during those conversations, because we covered many topics.  I know that she is gone now and hope that she is resting in peace.  


I continued up Main Street and first pasted the Gappa’s house and then Latshaw’s Bakery.  David Willauer grew up there as his father was the baker.  Mr. Willauer was an amazing baker and David’s grandmother Ruth ran the front of the store.  They had the best - well anything they made was the best.  David and I used to play back in the barn and around the bakery.  One of the treats of playing with David was getting a sugar cookie - I think they were the ones they couldn’t sell, but that was always fun.  As I recall he was a really crazy person - I spent a lot of time laughing when I was with him.  I am glad that he had the patience to deal with a younger child! Right past the Bakery was the Liberty Firehouse.  I think the Libs were the pride of Spring City.  I attended the after prom party during my sophomore year of school, and having never been in the Libs, I was stunned at how large the area was including the bowling alley.  Of course living across from a fire house was kind of noisy, but in the end you really got used to it.  I just always remember counting the honks and then checking the key we kept in the kitchen bottom left cabinet.  You knew it was a bad fire if the Royersford fire houses would blow their sirens too.



I headed down Main Street and started to remember where everyone lived.  Mickey Trego, Denise Guadagno, and Clyde Walters came to mind right away.  It was later at night so the town was pretty quiet.  This allowed me to drive slowly down Main Street without making others mad.  I got down to the bank and then remembered that Ida Bickhart used to live across from it.  I also remember that Kathy Leskowicz lived above the cigar store.  Spring City Hotel seemed to be doing a huge business as the front of the restaurant looked packed.   Then I past Mosteller’s Seafood store.  They had the best seafood around.  This is where I learned to love scallops, because that was the only seafood I really liked.  My tastes have grown since, but then no way!  After Mosteller’s closed, it sat empty but had occasional tenants - I think there was a music store in there at one time as well.  Eventually my friend Dean Nafziger moved the business his father started and Dean was running.  Filter- Recon - opened up in there.  I recall visiting him in there frequently.  




Next was Phil Young’s Men’s Store.  Mr. Young and my dad played golf, and naturally he was always telling stories about Phil’s behavior on the golf course.  My brother Kris worked there when he was in high school.  I always wanted to work there myself.  Actually I would have loved to have taken over the business when he closed but that didn’t happen.  I did get my wish the last couple of years he was open; I worked Christmas Holidays for a couple years for him and then helped him close the store.  I have to say the last time I walked out of the store, I had tears in my eyes.  




Swartz’s grocery and kind of 5&10 was next.  It was cool that in Spring City you could walk to Main Street and buy your groceries in three different  stores.  Eddie Willauer’s sold mostly meat, Mosteller’s sold seafood, and Swartz’s sold everything else though they had good meat too.  Dean Nafziger’s mom (June) worked there.  I remember that once in my life I was dared to steal something from Swartz’s.  I think it was a candy bar and it was just a dare. This was the first and last time I ever stole anything.  My guilt was so overwhelming (and I am none of the religious sects that thrive on making you feel guilty).   I felt so bad about what I had done - I went back - on my own - told the owners what I had done and paid them for the candy bar.  Next to them I think was Main Tavern and then Andy’s.  The best meal at supper was often Friday nights when my brothers would come home from college.  My mom never felt like cooking nor did my dad, so they would call Andy’s and order sandwiches and french fries.  I always got a steak with sauce and onions.  That was always the best Friday night meal !




I rounded the corner and there it was - the Schuykill River bridge. Annnnnd
It was closed!  So much for the plans I had of riding through Royersford.  I called my brother, Kris, to ask him if he knew what was going on with the bridge - this bridge was the only link between the twin boroughs.  School was going to start soon and I thought about how complicated it was going to be to get the Spring City students to the school.  My brother did know about the bridge closing, but did not know the details.  I belong to a group on Facebook that is all about Spring City.  I posted the question and got my answer.  They were “hoping” to have the bridge done by the time school started, or they would have to take the students to Royersford via Parkerford.  I turned around in what used to be the Acme and then Genuardi’s, but now I couldn’t tell you what it was.  





I headed up Bridge Street to continue my trek … 

No comments:

Post a Comment