Saturday, July 23, 2016

The Adventures of Sharon part dos - Spring City, Royersford, Limerick, and a trip to Rehoboth Beach

Sharon in the early days - well besides giving my brother "clown orange" hair - those early days are a bit of a blur.  I remember that she was a secretary at Spring City Elementary school when I started.  Beyond that, I don't have too many memories of her life in the Spring City apartment.

The house across from the Grace Lutheran Church, I also do not have a lot of memories.  She was married to Ernie and by this time she was a mother of at least one and I think two.  I remember jelly sandwiches sitting on a high chair.  I remember Ernie bopping in and out and even dancing.  I went there after the Saturday morning skate in the basement of the Lutheran Church.  Not always but, I would and then my parents would pick me up.  I believe that I was still in elementary school during this period because my cousin Lee Ann was in jr. high and that was with whom I went.

By the time she moved to Lewis Road, her daughter was the age of Barbie Dolls and I was probably in 6th or 7th grade.  I would go out and visit and play with Tracy's Barbies.  Actually I liked making clothes for them.  I didn't really play with them as much as I used them to design clothing (where were these design shows then uh - my life could have been very different!)  Anyway - it was during these visits that Sharon and I began to develop the basis for the relationship that has remained in tact all these years.  I also think that Sharon would let me smoke whenI was with her.  How cool was that?  I was smoking with an adult!    I do recall a night or two staying with the Tracy and Todd (they were in bed asleep)  maybe it was so she could go get cigarettes or something of that nature.

I don't remember what year it was, I remember that I had bought a daisy printed speedo (everyone wore them then)  to go to the beach.  I would have had to be in at least 7th maybe going into 8th grade.  My brother was working in Rehoboth Beach, DE and had a trailer he rented.  Sharon and I went down for the 4th and stayed with him in the trailer.  This was probably my first trip with someone other than my parents.  I know I was very excited.  She picked me up and by now we had established a pretty comfortable rhythm to our conversations.  We smoked as we talked.  We stopped at a strip mall on RT.1 to get some snacks.  I am not sure what I got, I think a crumb cake maybe because I ended up with a lot of crumbs in my crotch and this became a source a great hilarity for the both of us.  I believe there were a number of double entendres being used give meaning to the crumbs.  I think I may have even had a cup of coffee.  I was living large and feeling like an adult.  My other recollection of that trip was walking along the beach and my cousin telling me to look around.  I did and wondered what the deal was.  The deal was, we were standing on what is now called Poodle Beach - which is the primarily gay section of the beach.  She thought it would be funny to see my reaction.  I was immediately uncomfortable and wanted to leave.  I actually believe that she wanted to scope things out so we went into the water and held hands.  After a brief time, we headed back up the beach towards where the boardwalk was located.  This may have been when she moved to her grandmother's house and not when she lived on Lewis Rd.

After she left the house on Lewis Road, she moved into her grandmother's house on Green Street and I believe it was 2nd Avenue.  The house was left to her by her grandmother Ada.  It was through Ada, that I was related to Sharon.  Ada had not done much to the house in years, so when Sharon moved in, it required a lot of painting.  I remember going over there often to help her paint and probably to smoke.  I did enjoy painting and do to this day.  Thankfully I gave up smoking for good in 2002.  The adventures from Green street will come on another entry.

Thanks for reading - let me know if you enjoyed it - feel free to follow me to get live updates delivered to your box - or just say hi.  Let me know what you think of the elements of writing.   Cheers!

*****  If you have read this far - read this - I am in the process of getting my dates and years figured out - I found an old diary that should help with that.  I will update this more when I get the information I need .... 

No comments:

Post a Comment