Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Platform Bed ideas

This goes back to the old days - remember box spring and mattress on the floor?  I know I did that all through jr. high and high school. I would have loved to had these plans when I was in high school.  I love that this is moveable.  This article is from Apartment Therapy a blog that I don't think runs anymore.  Wooden Pallets are also another way to create a platform bed. 

2007_02_06_meat-cart-bed.jpg
This is an oldie, but a goodie. Back when Berkeley-based ReadyMade was still just a gleam in Meredith Corp's eye, Shoshana Berger made a splash with a preview issue that included instructions on how to make a "meat cart" platform bed. Sound sexy? Well, it actually was. With just casters and a simple ladder frame as supports, its minimalism rivals that of the Ligne Roset Maly bed -- but for a whole lot less green.
We recently came across David Nunez's blog entry on his own version, and went in search of the original article. Alas, it's not online, but we did discover that ReadyMade now sells a $115 queen size "bed in a box" kit.  I am not so sure that ReadyMade is around anymore either.  One of the details that they always mention is that you should always let the bottom of your bed breathe.  I have not done that in the past, but my current platform bed does breathe on the bottom.
2007_02_06_frame.jpg
Wood for this project will probably cost no more than $200, and you can customize by adding your own fun casters. (Check out this post for caster ideas.) David also added a safety pull bar as a handle, which is a great idea.
Also, apparently the ReadyMade product people will answer emails about adjusting the pattern's measurements, so you can check your specifics with them. Again not so sure that ReadyMade is still around- but I encourage you to check it out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment