Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Sports the early years (Part 2) and why cars and baseball do not work well together




I also got involved in Little League when I was in elementary school.  All the guys were playing and my brother had been the captain of the high school team so it only seemed natural that I would play.  I played for the Indians.  One of my coaches was one of my friend’s father, Mr. White.  Bruce White was the friend.  Mr. White was really nice and encouraging as I recall.  I also recall I did not really understand the game.  What I did understand was that the pitcher tried to make you look like a failure by pitching in a matter that made is impossible to hit the ball.  I did not know why then but I do now - I had ADD and so keeping my eye on the ball was like next to impossible.  If a bird flew by - I was watching it.  So I always prayed for the walk.  I hated hearing “easy out” every time I was up to bat, though the reality is - it was true. 

In my baseball highlight reel I have two tapes.  The first I remember was the night my family was coming to watch me play.  This included my very athletic brother who had been captain now of both his high school and college baseball teams, my other brother, father, and of course my mother.  My mother drove me to the game early for our practice.  As she approached the fence that enclosed the field I thought she was going to pull straight up to the fence and stop - so I had my hand on the door handle of the car ready to jump out.  I believe at the last possible moment, my mother decided to not stop perpendicular to the fence, but rather parallel.  Missing that memo - I opened the car door as my mother swung around the fence stopping just parallel to it.  I flew out of the car - hit the ground and rolled into the fence - which was good because it stopped my forward progress.  Other teammates and coaches viewed my flight through the air and immediate stop at the fence.  My mom jumped out of the car to make sure she had not just accidentally killed her youngest child while my teammates and coaches came to make sure I was still breathing.  Once I was on my feet and still sort of shocked that my mother tried to kill me - the coaches said that if I were too hurt to play that night they would understand.  REALLY????  Was I just suffering from some kind of brain injury or did I just get a free “get out of jail “ card from the coaching staff.  Was this my chance to save face with my family and not have to listen to the ridicule I would undoubtedly face upon striking out every time I was up to bat and for either dropping or missing or both any and all baseballs that came into my vicinity?  

This - I believe was the beginning of my acting career - though unofficial as it was.  I went into immediate limp and shoulder pain - being the brave little boy I was I told my mom and the coaches, “I would give it my best shot to play tonight since my family was finally coming to see me play.”  I went through practice “struggling” and building my case for later in the evening when it was finally time for me to play.  

My mother told my family what had happened but was proud that her little trooper was not going down without a fight and that it was still on.  Everyone arrived and got their folding chairs out.  They kept looking at me to see how I was doing - and with my bravest face I tried to say I had not given up.  If you have read this far you know by now that when the moment of truth came, “So Bill are you able to play tonight?”  I swung my arm very carefully - grimaced my face - thought about it - and then with a sad look on my face said, “I just don’t think I should tonight.”  I was saved!  Completely from total humiliation!  When this was conveyed to my “cheering” section - they packed their belongings and left.  My brothers did not want to waste their valuable time watching a little league that they had no interest in except their brother - who was now sidelined with an unfortunate injury inflected on him by his very own mother!  

There was talk of them attending another game so I had a second chance at the ultimate humiliation - but thankfully it never happened!


The other moment on my highlight real was when I was playing in the field behind first base.  Someone hit a line drive straight to me. I stuck my glove up and the ball miraculously went in.  I was in shock - I stood there and kept repeating the phrase,  "I caught it."  This was happening while the other team was running the bases.  Someone kept yelling, "Throw it home," but I kept showing my glove with the ball in it  and announcing that I had caught it.  Two runs were scored before I finally came out of my "I caught it" trance and threw it home.  



Ok I know this guy is probably a pitcher - but it was difficult finding a picture of a little leaguer throwing from the outfield !!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment